“The ultimate aim of all artistic activity is building!’ Walter Gropius.
We are thrilled to present to you our artistic jewellery collection – Bauhaus. To discover inspirations and creative expressions behind this beautiful new capsule we have asked our designer in chief – Deniz Gurdal – a few questions.
– What attracts you to this vibrant and iconic art movement?
I have always been heavily influenced by architecture when I design jewellery. Most people – including myself – think that the Bauhaus architect is one of the most influential currents in modern design. But most importantly Bauhaus was founded with the idea of creating total works of art. It influences architecture, graphic design and many other art forms. I think this is just amazing!
– Do you have a favourite Bauhaus artist?
Mies van der Rohe whose aphorisms was “the less is more” and “ God is in the details” and of course Le Corbusier
– You have created a stunning collection to celebrate Bauhaus, could you tell us a little bit about the design process behind it?
The design process behind this collection is very similar to the process of many other collections I’ve created. As a designer, you can influenced by so may different things. This could be amazing architecture, paintings, leaves and flowers. I simply took some of my favourite elements from this amazing art movement and I love the results.
– What are your favourite pieces from the collection?
– You have recently visited Berlin, one of cradles of Bauhaus, could you recommend 3 main historical/cultural sites everyone visiting Berlin should see?
I think it is so difficult to recommend only 3 cultural sites as Berlin has so many to offer. Some of them are …Museum Island, The Bauhaus-Archiv/ Museum, Rebuilt Reichstag, Gelmäldegalerie, Gendarmenmarkt, Charlottenburg Palace and of course there are so many art galleries to visit too.
Discover our new Bauhaus jewellery capsule via the link below.