With gorgeous new season collections launching on our website, we couldn’t help but reminisce of how it all began six years ago at the heart of London’s iconic Notting Hill. To give you the full story of how, where and when, we have caught up with our creative director – Deniz Gurdal – to talk about the past, the present and, of course, the amazing future…
– So how did it all began?
– It all began from Portobello Market selling my designs on Saturdays from a charming little stall. I loved that both locals and visitors to the capital flocked to the stall to pick out their new gemstone treasures. Before we knew it, we got spotted by buyers from some of my favourite department stores and art galleries.
Image sources: Pinterest – Airbnb, Kensal Studio
– What inspires you?
– So many things in life … Different cultures, art, architecture, nature… I really enjoy visiting London’s art galleries and finding so many inspiring details and objects, sculptures, installations and paintings… I love architecture and how it can influence my designs. I also love peaceful long walks in the woods, fields, anywhere, where I can find myself surrounded by natural beauty. I find so much inspiration from there … The list can go on and on.
– If you had to pick one thing you love about Notting Hill, your beautiful home in London, the most, what would it be?
– The variety of different cultures and how the Portobello Market, especially, express this. I also love the Carnival and lots of local creative events and happenings. It’s a brilliant place to live, work and create in.
– What has inspired Ottoman Hands latest collection?
– I would say mostly nature and it’s mesmerising creations, their textures, colours and raw, real beauty. Our customers will easily spot so many different designs in AW16 collection influenced by natural forms: from elegant Pearl And Flower Rings to delicate Little Twig Hoop Earrings.
– What is your favourite piece from the new collection?
– It’s really difficult to pick one, but at the moment I can’t stop wearing our new Little Twig Hoop Earrings.
– How do you wear your Ottoman Hands jewellery?
– In summer I love layering our colourful festival bracelets and draping different length gold necklaces together. I like wearing drop earrings with long flowing dresses and big statement necklaces with a more minimal day dresses. When it comes to rings, I like them stacked with lots of different designs and shapes beautifully mixed together.
– Any trends you will be following this AW ?
– I will be adding new pearl rings and earrings to my jewellery box; this gemstone will be really big this season. And of-course wearing more of chic long earrings, which were so trendy in Spring/Summer 16, but this season updating them with darker, more sumptuous semi-precious stones like Lapis Lazuli and Labradorite.
– What do you love the most about jewellery and the making of it?
– Everything! It is amazing what goes into making those pieces: from creating the design and sketching it, to cutting and sanding the metal, setting stones and polishing the final piece. It’s a great pleasure to see how that piece you design comes to life and how people wear that piece, giving it their own character. I can’t put this feeling into words… It makes me really happy!