Privacy & Security
At Ottoman Hands we are committed to maintaining your privacy.
What information do we collect?
To make your shopping experience with Ottoman Hands smoother and more tailored we collect the following data about you, your interests and your use of our website and digital platforms, including, but not limited to, when you purchase products using our mobile and desktop website, when you complete forms on our platforms, submit user-generated reviews or ratings and engage with us on social media.
- Information you give us
- personal identification: your name and date of birth;
- contact information: email address and telephone number;
- demographic information: postal address;
- your purchase history and product wish lists;
- survey completion or competition entries;
- marketing preferences, including any consents you have given us when you have subscribed to our newsletter or set up an online account with us;
If you contact us by phone or email, we will keep records relevant to your query to help us answer your current query and other future queries more affectively.
- Information we collect automatically
- information related to your browser, device or operating system you use to access our website and digital platforms;
- information related to your journey to and through our website and digital platforms: your IP address, the website you came from, information on actions taken on our website and digital platforms including but not limited to: pages viewed, dates and times of visits, time spent on each page, products viewed and clicked on, products added to your basket and purchased;
- Information we receive from third parties
Sometimes we receive data about you from third parties when you engage with us through social media, search for us in Google or other search engines, and use other sites or applications not directly related to us. Those sites will share some data with us including, but not limited to:
- the content you have viewed or/and interacted with;
- data about adverts you have been shown and/or interactions with those adverts within the content which you have interacted with;
- your IP address, and limited geo location information;
- publicly available information;
- non-personal information used to supplement existing information, such as demographics and social-demographic groupings.
Privacy notices for these sites and applications will contain more details about the data they collect and how to amend your privacy settings on those sites and applications.
How do we legally use this information and why?We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To fulfil any orders your place, answer any inquiries you have and help you find out more about our products and services, when you have expressed interest in them. This includes:
- processing your orders, registrations, or competition entries;
- providing the services, to communicate with you about your order and your account with us;
- communicating with you (including by email and phone, where you have provided your contact number) and providing customer services to you;
- verifying your identity;
- sending you information about changes to our terms or policies.
- To conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- we will use your personal data to provide products and services you have requested, and respond to any comments or complaints you may wish to share with us;
- we monitor your use of our website and digital platforms, and use your personal data to help us monitor, improve and protect our products, content, services and websites, both online and offline;
- we use your personal data to personalise our products and services for you and help you by developing the best product and service offering you have helped us to identify;
- to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime, in accordance with applicable law;
- to investigate any complaints or feedback received from yourself or others, about our website or our products or services;
- we will use data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation);
- Where you give us your consent, we will use your personal data:
- to send you newsletters and other promotional material about our products and services and to use technologies to check if these have been received and opened to help make our communications relevant to you;
- to place cookies and use similar tracking technologies to personalise content and advertising to you and to develop our website and digital platforms and their functions to better suit your needs and expectations;
- to invite you to take part in market research and surveys helping us to understand your needs and desires better;
- on rare occasions, where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which will be thoroughly explained at that time.
- For purposes which are required by law: such as in response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
Who will we share this data with and why?With your consent (where required), we share your personal data with trusted third party service providers, suppliers, affiliates, partners, sponsors, agents and representatives we have engaged to perform business-related functions on our behalf.
For example, to:
(i) conduct research and analytics;
(ii) conduct or support marketing;
(iii) deliver your orders and provide customer support services for order delivery;
(iv) securely handle payments on our behalf;
(v) host our website and digital platforms;
In all cases, any third parties will be acting on Ottoman Hands’ express instructions and in accordance with this Policy, maintaining highest levels of confidentiality and security.
Without your consent, we share your personal data:
- with third party platforms such as Facebook or Google to send you targeted advertisements on our behalf;
- in response to legal process and government agency’s request;
How long will you retain my data?Where we process personal data for marketing and order fulfilment purposes or, with your consent, for other purposes, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests).
We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data indefinitely so that we can respect your request in future.
Where we process personal data in connection with performing a contract or for a competition, we keep the data for 6 years.
Where we process registration data, excluding in the circumstances outlined above, we retain your data for 6 years.
What rights do I have?
You have the right to ask us for a copy of your personal data to correct, delete or restrict processing of your personal data and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share this data to another controller.
You can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances; in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the data for direct marketing.
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, where they would infringe the rights of a third party (including our rights) or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. We will inform you of relevant exemptions we rely upon when responding to any request you make.
To exercise any of these rights, or to obtain other information, you can get in touch with us using the details set out below:
If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
Where we require your personal data to comply with legal or contractual obligations, then provision of such data is mandatory: if such data is not provided, then we will not be able to manage our contractual relationship with you, or to meet obligations placed on us.
Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to direct marketingWherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. In some cases, we are able to send you direct marketing without your consent, where we rely on our legitimate interests.
You have an absolute right to opt-out of direct marketing we carry out, at any time. You can do this by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails, or by contacting us using the details set out below.
When you visit our website and digital platforms we may store some information (commonly known as a “cookies”) on your device.
What are Cookies?Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your hard drive to store and sometimes track information about you. Cookies are specific to the server that created them and cannot be accessed by other servers. They cannot be used to track your movements around the web.
Cookies can be categorised in accordance with the categories found in the ICC UK Cookie guide as set out below:
- strictly necessary cookies – these cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around a website and use its features and enable services you have specifically asked for. Consent is not generally required for these cookies;
- performance cookies – these collect information about how you use our website, for example, by recording which pages you go to most often (this is usually done on an anonymous basis);
- functionality cookies – these cookies allow a website to remember the choices you make, such as a user name or language preference. These cookies help you use the website quicker and more conveniently;
- targeting or advertising cookies – these cookies collect information about a your browsing habits and are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission.
Cookies can also be categorised in accordance with how long they are saved on your device.
- “Session cookies” are short-term cookies that are only saved on the computer’s memory for the duration of a your visit to the website;
- “Persistent cookies” remain saved in the computer’s memory for a set period of time, even after the browser session has ended.
How to manage & remove cookies from your device.If you are using our website and digital platforms via a browser you can change your cookie preferences and withdraw your consent at any time using the Cookie Preferences tools on your device or browser
Security MeasuresWe have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures designed to help prevent unauthorised access, to maintain data security, and to use correctly the personal data we collect online. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the personal data that we collect and store.
Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard against unauthorised disclosures of personal data, we cannot assure you that your personal data will never be disclosed, altered or destroyed in a manner that is inconsistent with this privacy notice.
How do I get in touch?We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. If you have any concerns about how we process your data, or would like to opt out of direct marketing, you can get in touch at:
307 Westbourne Studios, 242 Acklam Road, London, W10 5JJ
From time to time, we may update this policy. We will notify you about any upcoming material changes by either sending you an email to the email address you most recently provided to us or by prominently posting a notice on our website.
We encourage you to periodically check back and review this policy so that you know what personal data we collect, how we use it, and with whom we share it.