"Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love." Stevie Wonder
With Mother's Day around the corner we have asked our creative director - Deniz Gurdal - to tell us about the most inspiring women in her life and how they have shaped her creative vision and our jewellery.
- Could you please tell us a little bit about inspiring women in your life?
- I think that for many people, their mother or grandmother would be the most inspiring women in their life. I adore my mum and I find her intellectually inspiring. However, my grandmother is the one who was so creative and also a great tailor. My sister and I used to spend our summer holidays with her and we used to sew, knit and make dresses
- What is one of your favourite memories?
- I loved looking through my grandmother’s chests and my mums jewellery boxes. Playing dress-up with my sister is one of my favourite memories and is when I discovered my love for sparkly jewellery!
- How have they influenced your creative process and are there any beautiful pieces of jewellery in Ottoman Hands collection that remind you of them?
- I remember adoring my mum's colourful gemstone pieces and I think both my mother and grandmother have a huge impact of my creativity. And of course so many Ottoman Hands pieces are inspired by their jewellery.
- You have a gorgeous little daughter, what would be one piece of advice you give her when she grows up?
- Walk your own way, be your unique self and don't worry about what people might think of you.